Tuesday, May 17, 2005

Peculiarities of speech

People speak, and when they speak, they tend to use some phrases over and over again. Some people like to call these phrases "crutches", sort of used to assist thought while speaking, or used just for the fun of it, maybe.
Over the past five days, I've been obseving people and the words and phrases that they often repeat. Here is the result of my study:
Sanjay Agarwal, Proprietor of the Agarwal Study Centre
1. What a beautiful ....
Whatever the darned feller likes follows this phrase. He's used this phrase to describe a question in math, a cup of coffee, a wide road and even a dude called Manan Lalit.
Example: What a beautiful coffee!
2. Kya mast ___ hai re
The dash is replaced by the person/thing/thought/commodity in question.
Example: "Kya mast ladka hai re!" and "Kya mast question hai re!"
Mr. Tyagi, Teacher of Chemistr, Agarwal Study Centre
1. Nothing but...
This is an extremely stupid and unnecessary phrase, but Tyagi insists on using this line. This really lengthens all his sentences.
Example: Atomic Mass is nothing but the mass of an atom
Molecular mass is nothing but the mass of a molecule
2. As you already know...
If I already knew, why would I be sitting in his class, and why would I pretend to listen with utmost attention?
Example: As you already know, one mole of C-12 .....
Vipul Raja, Student of TIS and Agarwal Study Centre (aka Pimp)
1. "Sexy"
Now when the aforementioned adjective is used for dogs or butter chicken, it sounds really weird (Correct spelling this time, I hope)
Example: What sexy butter chicken!
My nani has very sexy dogs!
2. "Full"
Example: There was a full DJ at the party.
Whether Pimp expected just half a Dj is a mystery to me.
Mr. Pande, Teacher of Chemistry, Agarwal Study Centre
1. ".... are as follows"
This Pandey dude very conveniently appends "are as follows" to almost every sentence that leaves his mouth. The reason is not known to me, and he has made no effort to enlighten me on this mysterious usage.
2. "... and all this and all that"
Another very annoying usage by Mr. Pande, and it's equally unnecessary.
There are other overused phrases as well, and I might list them later,if I hae the time and energy.
One more thing, Blogger Spell Check wanted me to change Sanjay (from Sanjay Agarwal) to Snazzy and Agarwal to Accrual, which would make his name "snazzy accrual"!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

snazzy agarwal...hehe

Anonymous said...

hehe...are you good at humour or what?!
crazy!
- The Saluter

Anonymous said...

are you in grief
y dont you reply?
-Wicked Chutney

Dhruv said...

Why should you think I'm "in grief"? Have my cynical and humorous (hopefully!) observations on life lost their edge?
Why should anyone thinkI'm in grief, when I'm writing frivolous entries?
I demand a reply.

Anonymous said...

i mean with the unshaven beard n unkempt hair n all you look like ure in sorrow 4 something/someone ;-)