Saturday, May 14, 2005

Gandhiji's Talisman

With all due respect to Gandhiji (I respect the man immensely), I'd like to point out that his Talisman is probably the funniest, stupidest and the most pointless pieces of text ever written.
This is it:

Whenever you are in doubt or when the self becomes too much with you, apply the following test:-

Recall the face of the poorest and the weakest man whom you have seen and ask yourself if the step you contemplate is going to be of any use to him? Will he gain anything by it? Will it restore him to a control over his own life and destiny? In other words, will it lead to Swaraj for the spiritually starving millions?

Then you will find your doubts and your self melting away.
Very selfless and all that, but is it realistic? I believe in being realistic, and this is expecting just too much. Apply this test, and you'll probably never do anything at all.
Should I go for a walk? Should I buy a new shirt? Should I take a bath right now or later? Should I have a snack?
If you follow Gandhiji's words you'll probably end up not going for a walk, not taking a bath, not buying a shirt and forgetting that snack. Wierd.
Note: I did not mean to offend any "followers" of M.K. Gandhi by this post.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think the key line here is "Whenever you are in doubt..". Please don't tell me that you are going to be in doubt about buying a simple t-shirt. If you can't even decide that, and if "the self becomes too much with you", over such a small decision, then there's no way you'll ever take any decision.
I personally think that the Talisman is meant for "bigger decisions", the kind that are hard to take because you don't know if they are right or wrong. You also have to realize that maybe this Talisman was supposed to be applied back in pre-Partition India and now may not have the same relevance. You and I cannot understand if it worked, if it ever helped someone take a decision because we weren't there.
Anyway, to each his own.
- The Saluter

Dhruv said...

Ah well, what you say is very true.

udit said...

(Sigh)
you know it wouldn't be so bad if wasn't printed in fromt of each and every NCERT book, we've ever had.

Dhruv said...

Thats very true. And don't forget the Fundamental RIghts and Duties part as well.