Friday, June 10, 2005

Discovering Punjab

The reason I haven't been posting for some time now is that I was discovering Punjab. Yes, I was discovering Punjab. I didnt set off on an expedition to trample through the Punjabi country-side, I just went to Punjab for a week to attend a wedding of some weird cousin of mine, of whose existence I had no idea at all, till a week and a half ago. In the process I discovered Punjab, as I've never been there before, and it just so happens that I'm Punjabi.
The first thing that struck me (not like a bolt of lightning) was that everyone, without exception, was speaking in Punjabi.
T
The second thing that I noticed was the huge number of relatives that I have. Its unbelievable the number of cousins, aunts and uncles I have. Shocking. And I dont even know their names and how they're related to me.
The third thing that I noticed was that they all new me. All of them would go like "Dhruv nu vekh... kinna vadda ho gaya" (Look at Dhruv...he's grown up) or "Arun dey puttar nu vekh".
And the hospitatality is unparalleled in Punjab. Wherever you go these people offer you a lassi, milk, chai and stuff to eat. But they speak to you in Punjabi.
Then the laughter. AT ANY gathering of Punjabis, there will always be laughter. Its a rule. And exceedingly laugh, not discreet in any way. When Punjabis laugh, they want the world to know that they're laughing.
A memorable trip for me, a discovery of my so-called "true home". But I missed one thing: I wanted to visit Kasur, which is accross the border, and that where my agnate grand father hails from. Thats the place I would've been born if the famous partition had not been.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Same thing, I'd like to visit Sindh someday. It's shocking how little we know of ourselves and those related to us.
- The Saluter

udit said...

Visiting homelands, haan?
v. nice. even i'm really looking forward to go off to ramgarh- sunday morning.

Dhruv said...

Yup it was a sort of visit to my homeland. Rather enjoyed it.

Vintage Girl said...

i visite punjab last year.me also have loadsa relatives dere.i went to te border also to see de changing of thr guards.

Gursartaj said...

Punjab..yes.. i love it too
I told you they come up with those.. look how grown up you are lines always.. and dont worry.. ur not the only one who doesnt who their relatives are.. and how you are related to them.. i dont know abt many of mine either
but then.. punjab is still lovable
And to the laughter part.. i agree again... i was part of a recent gathering... so that makes it even more cherishable

Dhruv said...

It is amazing, Punjab, great place. And the relatives part too. Everyone has this huge number of relatives they dont even know existed. Its just amazing.

Dhruv said...

As an afterthought I'd like to add that I'm going to be doing some cool rafting (Ganges) till thursday, and hence will not be able to post thanks to inability of the Uttaranchal government to provide wi-fi.
So thats that.

Anonymous said...

Rafting? Nothing could be better! You'll have a great time for sure.
- The Saluter